Monday, February 22, 2016

Old Demonhunter Forest design process (Well, for the first half at least!)

So my last design in progress.. thingie.. was suprisingly well recieved, to the point where I got asked to do more, as in, show you more than just the area design. Warning, some of this gets boring and technical. 
Right now I have lots of freetime, so in a week of dedicated work on the game, my progress looks roughly like this: 

Sunday..  is usually my relax, and if I'm unlucky, bugfix day. Can I just say again that I hate bugs? The game should work 100% perfectly as soon as I finish with it. While at it, I would like to win the lottery, not work anymore, and just do this as a hobby. Alright, ok, the whole 100% working is perhaps a bit too unrealistic.

Monday, the day when I plan and do stuff like, well this post! For any Remasterings, aka areas I don't just take from the original as they are with only minor modifications and polishing I usually do doodles.. normally I do those on a notepad, but to show ya lot I did one in paint. Each Name actually indicates a seperate area.. The finished demonhunter forest looks about 90% like this err. well, conceptually speaking.. don't criticize ma art!11!!
This is the Enemy designer. I take the mushroom girl from the original and adapt it, as you can't copypaste them. I also make most spawns a little stronger, as in the original you had Miay OR Rose not Miay AND Rose. I fully expect more balancing to come later, but as you can see, thats tweaking a few numbers. You can add a lot of strange things to your spawns, and I have no clue what half of them do.. so I only use the obvious half! Once I designed all the enemies I move on:

This is where the naughty chit chat happens in combat. I'm actually a lazy cheater and copy the program code from a similiar enemy already implemented, then adjust it. The hardest part is not making it too long, or too short, even with the battle message on/off tool. This is a simple enemy, a boss spawn can easily have twice as many pages. I come up with the in combat banter on the fly usually, sometimes after I already wrote the ending that enemy will trigger, if any.



Preparations to remaster the Demonhunter forest, exspecially the mushroom forest. I use a chipset to substitute a tileset, thats why theres going to be a lot of events, thats the grey squares on the screen. It's a bit annoying to do, but I want a mushroom forest, and couldn't find any really good looking tilesets.. thats the green ground the trees adn the smaller mushrooms you can see.

Here we go, mushroom forest redesigning. See the prior post about the temple redesign if you wanna see how that one goes indepth, though to be fair, the Mushroom forest was quicker, as I kept the size and basic layout the same. It'll look less chopped up in the game. The Mushroom girl sprites aren't updated yet.. they'll be soon! It looks a bit very colorful, but in game there'll be a saturating filter turning everything purple-ish and a bit darker, so that'll sort things out.

Finally I did this, an animated sex scene, the patreon goal for reaching the latest milestone. This was a bit of a bitch to do, mostly because.. well, theres 64 pictures, and I have to add them all, as well as set up an animation frame per hand. If I ever do a full animation based game it'll be flash or unity, that much is for sure. (RPG Maker is based on Ruby, for those that wonder.).

After all the above is done, whats left is to write the actual naugthy game endings, but as thats mostly just pages of text, not much to comment about for it, I think those are best experienced in play.
So that was the remastering process for this weeks upcoming release, hope at least one or two of ya enjoyed the read, look forward to a remastered mushroom girl ending, as well as one new ending involving becoming a naughty tentacle pet. (I do still plan a tentacle companion, but the script for that proves to be suprisingly difficult.. time will tell how that one goes.)  If you read this you have read through all of this text wall, awesome, as little treat for you, why don't you check out the Last Demonhunter game page, I added a new teaser screenshot with content that isn't even in the patreon version, yet, literally made it for the screenshot collection this afternoon, though it will be in the game soon, promised. ^^
If anyone has any questions or remarks go right ahead. I want to note that I'm not a professional programmer, this is 90% Self taught, 10% mooching knowledge of off actual programmers, so it may appear rather basic.  

The Old Demonhunter Forest Part I will be released for the public this coming saturday.

11 comments:

  1. p.s. I have to really wonder who gets aroused by me programming. If you live nearish germany we should hook up, I can program for you for HOURS :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you choose media fire urls without brackets "("? I can not download The last denon Hunter but the order due to this link not crashing my VIP software. I sit in china and I need VIP to get past the great firefall to enjoy the games. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, interesting all the places I have fans.. Second of all, fuck internet censorship multiple ways.
      Third of all, I'm afraid no, Mediafire choses those links based on.. whatever algorithm and I have no influence on it, and I'm not deleting it and reuploading until it perhaps works for your end, sorry, these uploads take actually a good deal of time and hog up my pcs capabilities to a decent extend. I guess you'll just have to wait and hope for the next release, but perhaps reading your comment someone else who understands this kind of software has some suggestions for ya, or the mercy to rehost, though.. this is the very first time I hear anything bad about mediafire, usually other websites are much more troublesome.

      Delete
  3. I live in Noord-Brabant. in The Netherlands. wich part in Germany do you live?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah. I was mostly joking, but considering I'll soon be moving back to my home in NRW, thats pretty close, almost on the border actually. Though I wont disclose exact locations on the open interwebz ofc.

      Delete
  4. yea that would not be a great idea ^^

    Near the border is pretty close for me :D would love to meet u guys one day!

    I also was an very long patreon for you guys but because I lived on the money from my parents I could not support you guys everytime and that made me so sad. but now that I have finaly found decent work with decent pay, I can finaly support you guys again in 2 weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes us sad too! Just kidding,give when and what you can, I do want to make this into a lil job for me, but not at the expense of others.

      Well, if there is actual interest I can most definitly see myself organizing a little meetup, propably over patreon, not because I want people to give moneys, but because I want to remove a bit of the anonymity barrier, I'm sure you can understand. Feel free to sent me a message when you rejoin the patreon, or an Email here, and we can chat things up..
      Though I'd propably aim for a meeting on eastern, or even later, mostly cause weather is kinda meh right now, but yeah, Netherlands is definitly not too far away, heck I know a few folks that drive there to get cheap coffee and good liquorice regularly. ^^

      Delete
    2. The weather is indeed realy awefull, here too. I came back home from school and my shoes I had put them upside down and they where like a swimming pool. Can't wait for summer.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, well, not as bad, but pretty bad here too. :P

      Delete
  5. Have you guys recieved the mail I sent to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh.. oh we have, but good you asked, you see, have a special folder for Patrons, your associated email automatically gets sorted into that, but you weren't a patron anymore, which caused a thingamajig to bug out, responding now.

      Delete